Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A doctor visit

Well, here we go again...we are switching meds again. At our SST (student success team) meeting the school psychologist suggested that we look into switching Cody to a non-stimulant medication. Shows how much I knew and did my homework...I didn't know that there were non-stimulant ADHD meds. Right now Cody is on Adderall which is making him react very emotionally to every little thing and he is still getting distracted in class. After hearing that his Dr. talked to us about switching to Strattera. The only down side is that this med only works for about 50% of people that take it. It doesn't affect sleep and appetite like the Adderall did. We are keeping our fingers triple crossed that it works on Cody because it would mean that his emotional issues will at least be a ton less intense and frequent. It could be 1 week or up to 4 weeks before we know what the full benefits could be if any at all. We are really hoping this med does work on him. His teacher counted how many times Cody would get angry at the other kids in his class for things such as kicking the leg of their desk or tapping their finger on their desk. The total was a whopping 24 times in 6 hours. He's having sensory overload. There are some days where he doesn't react so many times but I was blown away. Daniel and I are still waiting to be approved to work in Cody's class. I am very anxious to see how he behaves when we are there helping. Please keep us in your prayers that this new med works for Cody. It's hard to know how upset he gets and sometimes at night when we talk about things that happened that day he tells me "I just couldn't help it, I can't control my body". On a brighter note, we are happy to report that Cody has passed all of his tests and is on his way to graduating 1st grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment