Monday, April 4, 2011

Like a lamb to the slaughter house

Today I sent my son to school knowing that he isn't getting along with his friends and hates recess time. We had a talk last night before he went to bed. He feels like his friends are mean to him and the other kids don't want to play with him because they think he's a bad kid. It's heartbreaking but what do you do...he has to go to school. He's been suffering socially and it's affecting his school work. Last week report cards came out. He hasn't made any improvements socially from last semester. We have our follow up SST (student success team) in a couple of weeks. I am frustrated with the slow process of trying to get my child on a 504 plan. All of the hoops you have to jump through are ridiculous. I am trying to help my child succeed in school and the school year will be over soon. I have been working an extra hour a day with him on things that he needs practice on and he has a tutor session once a week. He has improved his reading up to grade level which was a concern a month ago. It seems like you make progress and then there's something else that comes up like this friend thing now. I left him this morning and he was walking with another kid to class so that is hopeful. It still feels like I am sending him off to the slaughter house.

1 comment:

  1. Breaks my heart to hear that he is struggling. I know it extra difficult as a mother as well. Hugs and kisses from Auntie Autumn!

    I think this blog is a fantastic idea by the way!

    ReplyDelete